MARCH 6, 2020
From Yufuin, we headed back to Beppu and checked-in a ryokan – Kappo Ryokan Kannawa Bettei.
We were given yuzu mochi and ocha as welcome snacks then toured around the ryokan.
After the tour and orientation, we quickly changed to yukata to use the private outdoor onsen while it was still free. It was nice because you can lock the door to make sure that other guests cannot go inside. Use of the outdoor onsen was max of 1 hour but we only stayed for 30 minutes because it was too hot for us.
I had a good sleep that night though because my back and shoulder pains went away. Our room had an indoor onsen but we decided to use it for the next day.
For dinner, we were served with a 10-course meal which was included already in the room price we paid.
What we had for dinner were:
- Fried red bream with yuba, cherry leaf, sweet rice sake sauce, sakura, and wasabi
- Small bowl: vegetables and dotted gizzard shad; rest of the plate: squid with leafbud miso, duck meat, roe and seaweed, taro, and broad bean lily root
- Clear soup with red sea bream, turnip, glehnia root, carrot, and rapeseed blossom
- Sashimi: horse mackerel, flounder, squid
- Bamboo shoot, wakame seaweed, kuruma prawn, sea bream roe, green peas, and carrot
- Nabe – bungo beef (high quality beef from Oita), assorted vegetables, tofu; vinegar + soy sauce; green onion, red chili daikon, and yuzu green pepper
- Grilled Spanish mackerel marinated in soy sauce, mustard shiitake mushroom, and pickled ginger
- Rice, pickled vegetables, miso soup
- Assorted fruits
We were so happy with Youko-san who assisted us ever since we arrived up until dinner finished. We even talked a bit during dinner because she was surprised we knew basic Japanese and had good diction.
After dinner was sleeping time already and we were excited to try the futon. It was so soft and comfortable! We did not feel the floor on our back so we had a good sleep.